Introduction to Sports & Entertainment Marketing
Have you ever wished to play sports professionally? Have you dreamed of one day becoming an agent for a celebrity entertainer? If you answered yes to either question, then believe it or not, you've been fantasizing about entering the exciting world of sports and entertainment marketing. Although this particular form of marketing bears some resemblance to traditional marketing, there are many differences as well—including a lot more glitz and glamour! In this course, you'll have the opportunity to explore basic marketing principles and delve deeper into the multi-billion dollar sports and entertainment marketing industry. You'll learn about how professional athletes, sports teams, and well known entertainers are marketed as commodities and how some of them become billionaires as a result. If you've ever wondered about how things work behind the scenes of a major sporting event such as the Super Bowl or even entertained the idea of playing a role in such an event, then this course will introduce you to the fundamentals of such a career.
Unit 1: Basic Principles of Marketing
1. Explain the exchange process.
2. Define marketing.
3. Discuss the importance of determining target market.
4. Compare and contrast real vs. perceived value.
5. Identify and describe different types of utility.
6. Define market research.
7. Identify types of market research.
8. Discuss the effects of the Internet on marketing.
9. Compare and contrast Internet marketing and traditional marketing.
10. Identify the basic components of Internet marketing.
Unit 2: Introduction to Sports and Entertainment Marketing
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the history of sports and entertainment as an industry and how it relates to today's marketplace.
2. Distinguish among sports and entertainment marketing terms.
3. List major environmental influences on the demand for sports and entertainment.
4. Research sports and entertainment marketing information.
5. Explain legislation that impacts sports and entertainment marketing.
6. Describe activities to market a sports property.
7. Define and simulate sports properties and marketing.
8. Discuss why teams use marketing.
9. Discuss the various roles in sports and entertainment marketing.
Unit 3: Principles of Effective Sports and Entertainment Marketing in the 21st Century
1. List and describe the marketing fundamentals that drive sports and entertainment marketing.
2. Discuss how technology has changed the sports and entertainment marketing industry, for better and for worse.
3. List and describe trends and emerging technologies affecting sports and entertainment marketing.
4. Describe the challenges the sports and entertainment marketing industry currently faces and how they can navigate these challenges.
5. Define key terms related to the principles of effective sports and
Unit 4: Diversity & Demographics
1. Discuss how the use of demographics has influenced the industry.
2. Explain elements of culture and the need for understanding cultural diversity.
3. Identify how diversity affects sports and entertainment markets.
4. Describe how the broader female fan base has impacted marketing efforts.
5. Explain the impact of multiculturalism on sports and entertainment marketing activities.
Unit 5: Event Marketing
1. Discuss the components of the event triangle.
2. Describe the exchanges developed in the event triangle.
3. Explain the effects of media broadcasting on the event triangle.
4. Identify best practices in event marketing.
5. Distinguish between push and pull marketing techniques.
6. Distinguish between buzz and hype.
7. Evaluate event marketing campaigns.
8. Discuss how technology has impacted event marketing.
9. Identify effective social media marketing strategies for event marketers.
Unit 6: Product Marketing
1. Explain channels of distribution for sports and entertainment marketing products and describe activities of each channel member.
2. Identify components of the promotional mix such as advertising, visual merchandising, and personal selling.
3. Demonstrate visual merchandising techniques for sports and entertainment marketing.
4. Analyze a promotional plan for effectiveness.
5. Describe stages of new-product planning.
6. Define product mix.
7. Identify stages of the product life cycle for new or existing sports or entertainment marketing products
Unit 7: Sponsorships and Endorsements
1. Identify components and content for a sponsorship proposal.
2. Define and explain sponsorship issues.
3. Categorize costs associated with a sponsorship.
4. Identify types of sponsorship sales and relationship development.
5. Examine benefits of sponsorship opportunities.
6. Explain laws that may affect an endorsement agreement.
7. Identify components of endorsement contracts.
8. Discuss issues related to celebrity behavior and endorsements.
9. Research the rationale for a business to engage in endorsement contracts.
Unit 8: Finances
1. Distinguish between buying for resale and buying for organization use.
2. Explain the importance of identifying needs as the first step of the purchasing process.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the buying process by preparing a buying plan.
4. Complete purchase orders and process invoices.
5. Categorize business risks.
6. Explain methods a business uses to control risks such as surveillance and safety training.
7. Explain the use of inventory control information to prepare financial reports and make buying decisions.
Unit 9: Careers in Sports and Entertainment Marketing
1. Research careers in the sports and entertainment marketing industry.
2. List and describe businesses related to sports and entertainment.
3. Describe team function.
4. Use teamwork to solve problems.
5. Distinguish between the roles of team leaders and team members.
6. Examine characteristics of good leaders.
7. Identify employers' expectations and appropriate work habits.
8. Define discrimination, harassment, and equality.
9. Use time-management techniques to develop and maintain schedules and meet deadlines.
10. Evaluate how teams measure their results.
11. Develop two methods to recognize and reward team performance.
12. Justify the role of professional organizations, trade associations, and labor unions in the sports and entertainment industry.
Unit 10: Societal & Cultural Influences
1. Explain the psychology of marketing.
2. Identify ways in which the sports and entertainment marketing industry impacts our society and culture.
3. Discuss how celebrities influence young people.
4. Evaluate the role celebrities play in politics.
5. Define "referent power" and how it affects the influence of celebrities.
6. Explain the merging of politics and celebrity and the implications of this merging.
7. Demonstrate how to be savvy consumers of sports and entertainment commodities.